Forum issues?

Not sure if this is really the right place to post.. But the technical section seems orientated towards the Software and content... So figuring this the best place.

Is it just me or are the forums going down a fair amount and becoming unavailable, throwing cloudflare errors? It's happening on and off with me quite a lot these past few days

Comments

• Yup. It's a known issue, the hamsters powering the forum servers are getting tired but the developers are busy on other projects.

• SofaCitizen said:

Yup. It's a known issue, the hamsters powering the forum servers are getting tired but the developers are busy on other projects.

Hah. Glad it aint just me. Thanks <3 Poor hamsters though. I'd have at least used something like a fennec fox. They have plenty of energy x-x

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,602

It seems to be happening a lot and I've been getting a different sort of error recently. It used to go to an error page, now I keep seeing an error message overlaid on the forum page which goes away after a while. I don't know if this is a Daz thing or if Cloudflare have changed their error reporting.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,294

We have been told, the fix requires change of forum software

• PerttiA said:

Oh joy... That'd be fun.

I aint too big a fan of this forum software honestly speaking. Seems rather barebones actually. But eh, least the downtime isn't too long I guess

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

This forum ALWAYS has issues. indecision

• oddboboddbob Posts: 347

pofotigec said:

SofaCitizen said:

Yup. It's a known issue, the hamsters powering the forum servers are getting tired but the developers are busy on other projects.

Hah. Glad it aint just me. Thanks <3 Poor hamsters though. I'd have at least used something like a fennec fox. They have plenty of energy x-x

I've a spare cat I could donate. He's old but spirited. I'd even pay the postage.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995
    edited September 2022

Clearly some of you have never heard of the story of Server Hamster...

Poor little Bert was never the fastest hamster, nor was Bert the smartest hamster, but Bert had something other hamsters at Hamster Depot didn't...
    Bert had three extra toes on his left foot and a really weird looking patch of missing fur in the shape Guatemala on his back... But that's not what made Bert different... it wasn't even his strange odor or his spontaneous narcolepsy whenever he heard loud noises...

Bert had heart.

Well, technically 3/4 of a functional heart, but Burt had spunk and determination which nothing, not even his chronic flatulence or his lazy, much larger right eye could interfere with.
    From the moment he was eaten by his mother and subsequently spit out, he was determined to become the best hamster ever... to show everyone that by underestimating or trying to eat him, they were wrong and one day they'd wished they had gotten to know him or had treated him better.

Bert was dead set on being adopted by a nice school teacher who would make him the class pet and that he'd teach all the little children about the true meaning of determination and courage... and that generations of little children would grow up to be better people for having known Bert. 

But no matter how much Bert tried, he was never adopted... not even by the evil mad scientist who wanted hamsters to experiment on.

Bert was heartbroken, but he persevered. 

Every time someone came by his Hamsterarium, he'd run on the exercise wheel as fast as he could... usually he'd fall off or get his head jammed in between the bars, but he sure did put on a show... yet always after he'd wake up from one of his narcolepsy episodes he'd inevitably experience while putting on a show, it was the other more handsome or less drippy hamsters with no missing fur in the shape of any Central American nation that were chosen.

Bert was always rejected.

But he never stopped trying.

Then one day one of the hamster wranglers that worked at Hamster Depot was passing by and spotted Burt... he bent down and looked right at him!

"This is it!!" thought Bert... "Someone called in an order for a spunky hamster with courage and determination!!"... "I've got a home!!" 
    Bert started doing his signature hamster dance knowing it might trigger his narcolepsy, but regardless, he'd have to risk it.

The hamster wrangler shook his head and winced and started putting on some rubber gloves... "That's odd..." thought Bert. 
    But undeterred, he continued doing his little hamster dance so the hamster wrangler wouldn't grab the wrong hamster.

The hamsters wrangler opened the hamsterarium reached right for him and picked him up.

Bert was overjoyed!

The hamster wrangler held him up and examined him... "Ugh, what's that weird cheese smell?" 
    Burt blushed a bit, he was proud of his odor and no one ever complimented it before.

He held Bert up by the scruff of his neck turning him all around... "Yup... just as I thought... missing patch of fur the shape of Nicaragua, leaky orifices and uncontrollable seizures... Terminal Deranged Hamster Syndrome... 

"Wait... What?" thought Bert, "that was dancing, not a seizure and it's Guatemala, not Nicaragua!..."

But it was too late... the wrangler shook poor Bert a little to see if any parts would fall off and then said "Sorry little fella, but it's the hamster compactor for you... we can't have diseased hamsters like you infecting all the other handsome hamsters"...

And with that he tossed Bert into a bucket labeled "Hamsters For Compacting".

Burt landed with a squishy thud... he lay there in abject sadness... his tiny drippy weird smelling soul crushed like a spoiled grape under the wheel of a shopping trolley in the grocery store.

He lay there for hours awaiting compaction... maybe it was better this way he thought... "Who wants a drippy, smelly hamster who keeps falling off his exercise wheel?"... "I'm probably more useful as a fine paste used in cosmetic products"... "I was a fool for thinking I'd ever amount to anything"...

The hamster wrangler came by two more times with customers looking for "adorable hamsters"... Bert heard the other hamsters being adopted and silently cried at the bottom of the compaction bucket.

The wrangler passed by one more time and looked down at Bert... "Oops, sorry... I didn't forget about you... I'll be back for you as soon as I take care of this next customer..."

Burt cried uncontrollably... he barely heard the wrangler and the customer talking over his hysterical sobs...

"Well, they told me to pick up a new hamster... the adorable ones keep dying", said the new voice... "But these ones are all too expensive... are you sure there is nothing cheaper?" 

"No, that's it, those are the cheapest entry level hamsters we have... they are sold as is, no warranty or repairs... fairly disposable actually"...

Bert sobbed harder... he wasn't even "disposable quality"!

"Okay, I guess that's it... the cheap bastards won't spring for a halfway decent hamster, I guess we'll just have to use a diseased sewer rat to power our servers... it's the worst case scenario, but they are determined not to spend money on their forums, so..."

The voice paused... Bert looked up at the strange face staring down into his death bucket... 

"What's going on with that one?" the voice asked.

"Oh... he's got deranged hamster syndrome... he's not for sale." said the wrangler to the customer with the strange face.

The man with the strange face replied "So does that mean he's free?"

"No, no it doesn't... but you know what... I'm busy and turning on the hamster squasher takes five minutes for it to warm up... you know what, you can have it... just get it out of here now", said the hamster wrangler.

Before Bert knew it he was snatched up and dropped into a mostly empty Starbucks matcha green tea latte cup and taken away.

After a long journey in the cup holder of a high mileage late nineties Saturn SL sedan, Bert was brought into a janky old brick building way across town and brought down into the basement into a dark room that smelled of mildew and burning electrical insulation.

The man with the strange face dumped Bert out on a table littered with old scratch-off lottery tickets and Settebello Pizzeria menus.

He took an old sweat sock and dabbed off the whipped cream and green tea from Bert’s fur and grabbed him by the scruff of the neck.

He then carried Bert over to a old machine made of yellowing beige plastic and dented up metal… on the side was a hamster wheel with a handsome looking hamster laying dead on the wheel. 
    The strange faced man picked up the dead hamster and unceremoniously tossed it in the recycling bin far across the room. 
    It landed with a muffled "thump".
    “Damn, I was aiming for the trash bin”, he said… and without a proper greeting or introduction, he tossed Bert on the wheel. 
    “Well, you know what to do…” said the man.

Bert knew exactly what to do... he ran... he ran with all his three quarters of a functional heart, he ran as fast and as best as he could... he ran because he knew who he was... he was now the Server Hamster.

And with that Bert began his origin story as “Server Hamster". 
    Bert started running and hasn't stopped... aside from when he falls off the wheel or has a seizure or gets his head stuck in the bars. 
    But Bert has a purpose and he'll never give up... because he finally has a home and he's gonna show everyone he's the best damn hamster ever.

So now you know… the forums are wonky because they are powered by a spunky, funny smelling, drippy hamster with a patch of missing fur the shape of Guatemala, who frequently has narcoleptic episodes whenever someone slams a door or the water cooler compressor turns on, or even if someone sneezes on the third floor… the servers may freeze, they may falter and really suck because of it, but they always come back because of plucky and courageous Server Hamster… or as we know him…

Bert.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • Thank you for this. Brilliant story lol <3

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

Not just me then. I wouldn't mind a change of forum software as I'm not fond of this version.

It would be nice to get a like button too!

• Pendraia said:

Not just me then. I wouldn't mind a change of forum software as I'm not fond of this version.

It would be nice to get a like button too!

Personally I love Vbulletin (So long as it's not V5 and up)

- There was a similar forum software to Vbulletin that was made by some of the developers of Vbulletin. Its very similar, but I cannot for the life of me remember the name. But yeah. When it comes to powerful forum software, VB is mah absolute favorite. I think my main reason for taking to it though is due to the sheer customization and "fine tuning" of abilities for members/groups/ranks etc etc. And for someone like me, I find that an absolute must when it comes to managing a forum.

Though I think for Daz, it'd probably be a waste in terms of features, as I doubt most people including the moderators etc, would make use of the majority of features it has to offer. These forums are more of a (and I use this term loosely) "side deal" for us for discussion etc. It would be nice to have a couple features added though to make it's use more on par with other forum softwares. But overall, I think it serves it's purpose and needs. It's just a lil rough around the edges I suppose ^^

FWIW, I am getting a LOT of Gateway 504 errors today. And it's with Daz's host, not Cloudflare.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188

AllenArt said:

FWIW, I am getting a LOT of Gateway 504 errors today. And it's with Daz's host, not Cloudflare.

It always has been. It's being called Cloudflare because that is who's reporting it, not because they went down.

frank0314 said:

AllenArt said:

It always has been. It's being called Cloudflare because that is who's reporting it, not because they went down.

I realize this, but when there's an error, it will tell you if it's an error with Cloudflare itself or the host. Cloudflare also does stuff in the background.

• PerttiA said:

This forum format needs to get updated, so yeah, bring on the new software! 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,294

takezo_3001 said:

PerttiA said:

This forum format needs to get updated, so yeah, bring on the new software! 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7640226/#Comment_7640226

• PerttiA said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7640226/#Comment_7640226

I'm glad that this issue is not taken lightly, but yeah, I'd still like to see a revision sometime in the future, I suppose we have something to look forward to then!